Design Development: November – December DD Phase pricing: December – January 9 Lafayette College DD Pricing Review – January 9 – 23 Construction Documents: January 23 – March 31, 2014 Bidding, permitting, contract negotiation: April 1 – May 15 April 23rd Deadline for DKE to select alternates based on fundraising GMP for Trustees Meeting: May 23, 2014 June 6-8 – Reunion 2014 *Event details TBD* Ground breaking: June 15, 2014 October 25 – Homecoming 2014 *Event details TBD* November 22, 2014 – DKE in NYC for 150th Lafayette vs. Lehigh Football Game *Event details TBD*
- Substantial Completion: July 2015
- Furniture move in: August 2015
- October 15, 2015 – 160th Anniversary of the Rho Chapter *Event details TBD*
- October 16-17, 2015 – Homecoming 2015 *Event details TBD*
Where are we now?
Check out photos of construction in progress.
As announced at the groundbreaking ceremony at Reunion 2014 (described here), thanks to substantial leadership gifts already committed to the DKE 160th Anniversary Campaign, the College is proceeding with the full renovation scope including the cupola.
We still have $250k to raise to fully meet our commitment to the College for our share of the construction costs. If you haven’t already done so, join hundreds of your brothers and make your commitment or gift today.
Where are we going?
- The goal is to have the building complete for student move-in August 2015 ahead of the 160th Anniversary of the Rho Chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon on October 15, 2015
- Stay tuned for details on the DKE House dedication and celebration for our 160th Anniversary!
How did we get here?
It has taken a long time to get here! Acting on behalf of the Steering Committee, Michael De Lisi and Peter Carlson met with the College in 2011 to down-select the architecture firms for the DKE House renovation. We chose Atkin Olson Schade for several reasons including their prior work demonstrating an ability to breathe new life into buildings while respecting the history, environment, and purpose.
After several design review meetings, DKE and Lafayette received the schematic design plans in August 2012. Over the course of the next year, we reviewed these plans in private with bellwether alumni. DKE presented their feedback to the College and the design team.
At the October 2012 Board of Trustees meeting, the Buildings & Grounds Committee first heard of the proposed concept.
At the May 2013 Board of Trustees meeting, the administration presented three scope renovation tiers with higher scopes contingent on DKE fundraising. Each option included a minimum investment in the DKE House by the College. Upon reviewing the preliminary cost information for each scope tier and receiving feedback from DKE alumni, the Steering Committee decided to pursue the middle tier, which includes the alternates described here.
At the October 2013 Board of Trustees meeting, the administration presented the DKE House renovation plans to two Trustee Committees, who recommended the full Board hear the project. The full Board of Trustees approved proceeding to detailed design of the DKE House Renovation.
We are proceeding to creation of design development documents (DD’s) for the middle tier of alternates to be included renovation of the DKE House. Alumni and undergraduates have been participating on a project committee the College’s Office of Facilities & Planning assembled to create the DD’s and get more detailed pricing. This wrapped up with the creation of construction documents
Following the March 2014 Board of Trustees meeting, the College is issuing invitations to bid based on the construction documents.
DKE is currently fundraising to reach our $1.6 million target.
- The project will be put out to bid and the final budget and project scope will be verified, which will take no more than three (3) months.
- Once the final project budget is determined and the DKE funding commitments are attained, then the project can then be taken to the Trustees for final approval, and shortly thereafter construction will begin. Construction breaking ground is currently scheduled for July 2014.